Pain PumpsDr. Shah’s Patient Pointers:
“Pain Pumps” Are a Spot-on Solution for Eliminating Post-op Pain
It used to be that there were two options for controlling post-surgical pain:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers, which are often inefficient
- Prescription pain relievers, which are often narcotic, carrying with them side effects including nausea, constipation, drowsiness, and risk of dependence
While these options can work perfectly well for some people, patients of Dr. Shah now have a newer method for managing post-operative pain. The ACCUFUSER® pump—or simply the “pain pump”—is an increasingly popular way to alleviate discomfort following surgery.
What is the Pain Pump?
The ACCUFUSER®, manufactured by Curlin Medical, is essentially a pump that delivers a continuous, fixed-rate flow of non-narcotic, local anesthetic directly to the source of pain. During your surgery, a tiny tube (called a catheter) is inserted and placed under the surgical incision. This catheter is attached to a small external pump, which will begin to deliver pain medication immediately after your procedure and continue to steadily dispense the solution for 24-hour, uninterrupted relief. Instead of traveling throughout the bloodstream in order to eventually provide moderate relief, the pain pump essentially saturates the entire area with a local anesthetic, which acts as a numbing solution, instantaneously eliminating pain.
And unbelievably, that’s not as good as it gets: Patients now have the option of choosing the ACCUFUSER® PLUS, which provides the ability—at the press of a button—to self-administer an additional dose of local anesthetic, as needed, for ultimate comfort.
What Are the Benefits as Opposed to Traditional Treatments for Pain?
- Increased efficiency for greater comfort and relief
- Greatly reduced side effects such as nausea, constipation, drowsiness, etc.
- Non-narcotic means there is no risk of dependence or addiction
- Relief is immediate, as opposed to oral medication, which may require longer than 30 minutes to take effect
- Lightweight and portable, so you can go about your daily routine, easily taking your pain relief with you
- Continuous delivery means there’s no worry about remembering your next pill… or when you took your last
- Local delivery eliminates the worry of taking medication on an “empty or full stomach”
- No impairment in mental functioning
- Fewer toxins throughout your system as a whole
Is It Safe?
With an FDA approval and latex-free composition, the pain pump is likely to be safer than traditional pain medications. Depending on the patient, some traditional oral medications have a greater probability of an allergic reaction, risk of overdose, and physical or psychological dependence.
If you are interested in taking advantage of the pain pump, please speak with Dr. Shah or a member of the Beautologie staff prior to your procedure. We are happy to provide you with answers to all of your questions and concerns.
You may also visit www.curlinmedical.com for more details.